Oct 17, 2019
- Minimize or suspend any running applications, and activate your main desktop, or 'Finder'. Locate the Apple icon in the upper-left corner of the screen, and continue to the next step.
- Click the Apple icon, and in the resulting context menu, locate the 'System Preferences...' item. Click the 'System Preferences...' item and move on to the next step. Alternatively, you may click the 'System Preferences...' icon in your dock to continue.
- Within the 'System Preferences' menu, locate the 'Internet & Wireless' category. In this category, locate the 'Network' icon, and click it to move on.
- Administrative privileges will be required to progress from this point forward - locate the 'Lock' icon in the lower-left corner of this panel, labeled 'Click the lock to make changes', and click to continue.
- When the login dialog appears, enter Easynews username with @easynews at the end (ex. username@easynews) and password in the corresponding fields - if you are unable to proceed beyond this step, and you do not have access to an administrator account, you may need to contact Apple for support. Once you have entered your login details, click the 'OK' button to continue.
- Once you have enabled administrative privileges, the 'Lock' icon in the lower-left should now appear to be unlocked. To continue, create a new connection profile by clicking the square '+' (Plus) button just above the 'Lock' icon.
- When the resulting dialog appears, look for the 'Interface' drop-down box, and click. In the drop-down context menu, locate, and select the item labeled 'VPN' to continue.
- Once you’ve assigned the interface type click the second drop-down box that appears below, labeled ‘VPN Type’. As this tutorial covers the L2TP protocol, select the ‘L2TP over IPSec’ item from the drop-down menu, and move on to the next step.
- Finally, enter a descriptive name in the 'Service Name' field below - this field can contain whatever descriptive title meets your needs. Click the 'Create' button to continue.
- Once the new connection profile is made, fill in [SERVER NAME] (You will replace [SERVER NAME] with the server you would like to connect to. A full list of servers can be found here) in the 'Server Address' field - when choosing a server to connect to, geographical location may be a concern. When filling in the 'Account' field you will use your Easynews username with @easynews at the end (ex. Username0@easynews). Also, remember that our authentication system is case-sensitive, so a single mis-capitalized letter in either your username or password will cause your connection to error out. Confirm that the 'Encryption:' drop-down box is set to the default 'Automatic (128 bit or 40 bit)' setting. Finally, locate the 'Authentication Settings...' button, and click to move on.
- In the resulting dialog, enter your Easynews password in the 'Password' field. As before, this field is case-sensitive, so double-check against the confirmation email we sent you at sign-up. In the 'Machine Authentication' category below, confirm that the 'Shared Secret' radio button is selected, and enter the Easynews VPN secret in the corresponding field - our pre-shared key is 'vpn', without the quotes. Click the 'OK' button to continue.
- When you return to the previous menu, locate the 'Advanced...' button in the lower-right corner, next to the question mark icon. Click the 'Advanced...' button to continue.
- In the 'Advanced' settings pane, locate the 'Session' category. Tick the third checkbox down, labeled 'Send all traffic over VPN connection', then click the 'OK' button in the lower-right corner to continue.
- Find and tick the 'Show VPN status in menu bar' checkbox, located to the left of the 'Advanced...' button. Once this checkbox is ticket, you may commit all configuration options by clicking the 'Apply' button in the lower-right corner of the panel.
- Test your newly created connection by clicking the 'Connect' button, just below the 'Authentication Settings...' button, and move on to the next step.
- As the session to our server opens, watch the 'Status:' indicator at the top of the pane for any error or warning messages. If you are unable to obtain the 'Status: Connected' message, first confirm that you have entered your username and password - if you are still unable to connect, feel free to contact our support team, and include any relevant status messages.
- Once the session has successfully connected, look for the 'Status: Connected' message with the 'Connection Time:' and 'IP Address' details below.
- For a quick way to access your VPN session, locate the indicator on the top of the screen - look for the session 'Connect Time:' indicator, and click to open a context menu. From this menu, you quickly start and stop your VPN session without navigating through the 'System Preferences' menu. Click out of the context menu, close the 'System Preferences' menu, and enjoy peace of mind that your online activities aren't being monitored by prying eyes.
- Please note that we are not affiliated with Tunnelblick, and can only provide support for our configurations.
- Download and install Tunnelblick, an open-source OpenVPN client, from: https://tunnelblick.net/
- After installation, download the desired OpenVPN configurations from our website and place them into a folder. They can be found at: https://www.easynews.com/vpn/software/en_configs.zip
- After loading Tunnelblick, drag the .ovpn file of your choice to the left side of Tunnelblick, under Configurations. The icon will show a Green + icon if it's able to accept the file.
- Choose whether you'd like all accounts on the Mac to access this configuration, or only your account.
- Be sure to check the "Route all IPv4 traffic through the VPN" and the "Disable IPv6 (tun only) options.
- Press connect in the bottom right, and enter your username and password for the service. If you'd like the information to be saved each time you connect, check the "Save in Keychain" options.
- Please remember to append @easynews to the end of your username. i.e.: johndoe123@easynews
- If the connection is successful, the icon in the dock will change from gray to black. If you run into any issues, please contact support though our support center.